Eligibility criteria for applicants of a GME residency or fellowship training program are:
- Graduate from one of the following:
- United States or Canadian medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- United States college of osteopathic medicine accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- medical school outside the United States or Canada with:
- a valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and have a passing score for Step 1 and Step 2 of the USMLE,
- be a U.S. citizen, a legal permanent resident, or hold a visa which provides eligibility to work in the U.S. Typical visas are J-1 (requires Steps 1 and 2 of USMLE and ECFMG certification) and H1-B (requires departmental approval, and Steps 1, 2 and 3 of USMLE, and an Iowa medical license)
- Meet Iowa Board of Medicine licensure requirements
- All applicants must also meet program eligibility requirements as defined by the ACGME’s respective RRC (for accredited programs) or the department (for non-accredited programs).
Eligible applicants should apply directly to the residency or fellowship training program. Deadlines and application criteria vary; review those requirements at the individual program sites. Each program has specific guidelines for conducting interviews, what to expect during the interview, and American Board of Medical Specialties certification requirements.