How to Apply

ERAS logoInterview Dates and Times for 2023 -24

Travel Planning

Each year, the faculty interviews approximately 70 applicants for five residency positions. Two groups of residents are selected; three residents for the five-year clinical training program, and two residents for the seven-year research track. 


Application Criteria:

  • Applications are only accepted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).
  • US medical students should contact their Dean's Office or ERAS.
  • International medical graduates should contact the ECFMG. Sponsorship of J-1 visas is preferred.
  • An ECFMG certificate must accompany the ERAS application.


Interview Criteria:

  • Only apply to ONE track, either the 5-year clinical track OR the 7-year research track
  • IF applying to the 7-year research track, a one page supplemental application will be required.  Additional information will be provided.
  • The 5-year clinical track DOES NOT require a supplemental application.
  • Applicants for the 7-year track must be a US citizen or permanent resident holding a green card.
     Individuals on a temporary or student visa are NOT eligible.
  • Applicants who have had previous NIH funded research are NOT eligible for the 7-year track. Please review page 323 of the NIH eligibility guidelines: NIH Grants Policy Statment


A complete ERAS application includes:

  • Personal statement
  • Dean's letter
  • Three letters of support
  • Passing USMLE scores
  • Medical school transcript
  • A recent photograph (optional)

All applicants must also register with the National Resident Matching Program (Phone: 1-202-828-0566).


Medical Licensure in Iowa

GME contracted residents and fellows must apply for a license from the Iowa Board of Medicine at least three months in advance of the training start date. The Iowa Board of Medicine will not accept a license application more than six months in advance of the contract start date. Every resident or fellow physician or dentist is responsible for acquiring a medical license prior to practicing medicine at UI Hospitals & Clinics. State of Iowa law prohibits practice without the proper license. 

The GME office recommends all residents and fellows apply for a license through the Iowa Board of Medicine by using the Uniform Application (UA). This application provides state specific instructions for Iowa.